Liability in Uber or Lyft Car Accident Cases
Las Vegas, Nevada
Uber Accidents - Lyft Accidents
Today, when Uber, Lyft and other ride-sharing companies became a permanent part of Las Vegas life, the new reality emerged - Uber car accidents and Lyft car accidents. If you were injured in a car accident in Las Vegas and Uber or Lyft driver is involved, call us at 702-432-1000 to discuss your case.
Who Is Liable?
Indeed, the big question becomes, who is liable and who going to pay for medical expenses and compensate for your pain, suffering and lost wages when the ride-sharing company is involved?
The short answer - the at-fault driver and the ride-sharing company are responsible.
Where Settlement Comes From
When Uber is involved, the settlement money can come from different sources:
- The Uber driver's personal insurance that everyone is required to have by law
- Uber liability insurance (1 million per accident) that is attached to every ride
- Uber liability insurance (1 million per accident) for uninsured motorist and underinsured motorist is attached to every ride
- A 3rd party insurance, when a person who caused the accident is not the Uber driver
The same is true, if the Lyft driver is involved in a car accident.
What Causes Uber or Lyft Car Accidents?
The ride-sharing company’s drivers, same as taxi drivers, are on a road for many hours every day and, if you spend so much time on a road, the chances are - you will get into a car accident.
Most popular causes for Uber, Lyft, and other ride-sharing company’s accidents include:
- Amateur drivers behind the wheels
- Texting while driving
- Poor health conditions of a driver
- Driver is preoccupied using the app or GPS and not paying attention on a road
- Driver’s car is not properly maintained
- Driver is new to Las Vegas and unfamiliar with the rules of the road
- Driver is too busy monitoring his or her smartphone in search for passengers
Complexity of Accident Cases
There are no two car accidents the same, however, the insurance claim process for Uber and Lyft is much more complex, compared to the regular taxi, car or truck accidents.
First, multiple insurers are involved. Second, more insurance claims must be filed. Third, the maximum liability coverage per accident is different. And, in addition, if the at-fault driver is an uninsured motorist (driver without a coverage) or underinsured motorist (driver with a minimum coverage), the claims are processed differently too.
Taxi vs. Uber or Lyft
The taxi drivers have liability coverage over a million per accident, but they don’t provide any coverage, when the at-fault driver is an uninsured motorist or underinsured motorist. In cases like these, you are on your own. Uber and Lyft, on the contrary, will pay these claims.
Regular Cars vs. Uber or Lyft
If the at-fault driver is a regular driver with a simple personal car insurance, most likely he or she has only the minimum liability coverage required by law. At the time this article was written, the minimum liability coverage was $15,000 in Nevada.
When Multiple Cars Involved
It makes no difference for the amount of compensation you receive, whether one or multiple vehicles are involved in Uber or Lyft accident in Las Vegas.
If during the accident you were a passenger in Uber or Lyft car - you will be compensated for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. If you have any specific questions about your Las Vegas accident, call at 702-432-1000 to speak with an attorney.
If You Got Injured in Las Vegas
If you got injured in a car accident involving Uber or Lift driver, here is what you need to do:
- First, access your injuries. Make sure you are OK. Can you move? Do you need an ambulance?
- Take pictures of the license plates of all vehicles involved
- Take pictures of all drivers and passengers involved
- Take pictures of the surrounding area
- Note the time and location of the accidents
- When police arrives, give a statement and make sure you have a card from an incident report. You will need that card with the incident number to file a claim.
- Contact an attorney, who has experience in handling Uber, Lyft, or any other ride-sharing car accident claims. In many ways, the claim process is different when the ride-sharing company is involved.
Cars Accidents and Social Media
People are social creatures. It is very common today to share everything that happens in your life on social media – Facebook, Twitter and other networking sites. However, if you were injured in a car accident and waiting for a settlement from the insurance company, you have to realize that not only your friends and family read your posts. The adjuster for the insurance company also reads it and compares what you tell to your friends with what your attorney tells to insurance company. So, when you are in a lawsuit, we recommend limiting your social media posts to the minimum or, even better, to stop posting anything at all.
Car Accident Lawyer Can Help
If you got injured in a car accident that involved a driver from Uber, Lyft, or other ride-sharing company in Las Vegas, you need to hire a local attorney experienced in handling these types of claims.
We invite you to call us at 702-432-1000 to discuss your accident. The ride-sharing is a relatively new thing in Las Vegas, and yet, the attorneys at Heshmati & Associates already successfully settled a number of Uber and Lyft car accident cases.
Our No Fee Promise
All car accident cases, including Uber, Lyft, and other ride-sharing companies, the attorneys at Heshmati & Associates take on contingency basis, which means to you – you don’t have to pay a penny, unless your case is settled or you received the monetary compensation at the trial.
We serve clients in Las Vegas, Henderson, Summerlin, North Las Vegas and the surrounding area of Nevada.
Last updated on November 25, 2017.